Skip to main content

How Will I Draft For My Fantasy Season This Year?


  I'm always excited for the Fantasy Football Draft. The position that I'm most excited about this year, is the running back position. This year for the draft, no one should have a problem drafting at least one good running back for their team. There are going to be so many great running backs for fantasy owners to pick from the draft. Le'Veon Bell, David Johnson, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, Saquan Barkley, Leonard Fournette, Sony Michel, Ezekiel Elliot, Todd Gurley, and a lot of other running backs will be available for us to draft for the 2018 fantasy football season. It's good to have two solid running backs for your fantasy team, but everyone knows that two running backs are not enough to win your fantasy league. In order to win the whole tournament, we need to have a great overall team. Yes, luck does come into play when it comes to winning few key games during the fantasy season, but if you don't get to have a decent draft for your fantasy team, there is no way you can win the whole tournament. Down below, I will mention the strategy that I will use to draft my fantasy team for the 2018 season.

My plan for the Draft!

  Assuming there are going to be fifteen rounds in the draft, here's how I will draft my fantasy team:

Round 1- A top-five wide receiver. However, if all the top five wide receivers are taken, then I will pick either Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady as the quarterback for my team.
Round 2 - Either Le'Veon Bell or Todd Gurley. If both are taken, then I will draft another solid wide receiver.
Round 3 - The best available running back.
Round 4 - If Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce, or Jimmy Graham are available, then I will go with one of those tight ends. If not, then I will add another running back or wide receiver.
Round 5 - If I took a running back or a wide receiver in the fourth round,  then I will draft the best available tight end.
Round 6 - Defense or kicker.
Round 7 - Kicker or defense.
Round 8 - Best available quarterback (as the backup quarterback), running back or a wide receiver.
Round 9 -  Same as round eight.
Round 10 - Backup defense.
Round 11 to 15 - Running back or wide receiver.

Given the choice:

Who would I want as my number one receiver in the first round? Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Odell Beckham Jr., Deandre Hopkins, or AJ Green?. Of the five, I would definitely want Antonio Brown as my first pick in the draft. Brown has been the most effective and the most dominant wide receiver in the last five seasons. He produces results, scores touchdowns, and he is very reliable. In the last five seasons, he has played 77 of the possible 80 games. Antonio Brown is a no-brainer with the first pick in the draft.

  Who would I want as my quarterback late in the first round or early in the second round? Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady? As much as I love Tom Brady and as much as I say that he is the best quarterback even today, I would go with Aaron Rodgers. Let me make it clear to you all! You can't go wrong with either of these two quarterbacks, but Tom Brady will be turning 41 in just two days. Yes, he won the MVP last year and looked incredible in the postseason, but at this age, you just can't bet against father time. Not saying that Tom Brady will fall off a cliff as Max Kellerman has been saying since July of 2016, but his numbers won't be as great as the last two seasons. Aaron Rodgers is younger than Tom Brady and he is going to play with extra motivation in 2018 since he missed the majority of the 2017 season due to a broken collarbone. I can see him throwing for over 4700 yards and 38 passing touchdowns and running for another three to four touchdowns. However, if Rodgers is taken, I would take Tom Brady in less than a second.

  Who would I want as my running back in the first three rounds of the draft? David Johnson, Ezekiel Elliot, Alvin Kamara, Todd Gurley, Kareem Hunt, or Leveon Bell? As I mentioned earlier, no one is going to have any trouble in getting at least one solid running back for their team. However, given the choice, I would go with Le'Veon Bell. This guy can do it all! Bell is going to get a lot of touches. Last year, he caught 85 passes and had 321 total rushing attempts. If he stays healthy for this season, he is going to have similar numbers as last season. Why wouldn't I draft a special player who is going to get over four-hundred touches in a season?

  Who would I want as my tight end late in the third round or early in the fourth? Rob Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham, or Travis Kelce? This one is tricky, but I will go with Gronk. Of the three, he is the most dominant one and the most complete tight end in the game of football. Also, Tom Brady loves throwing in his direction, especially in the red zone. Not saying Graham and Kelce are going to have mediocre seasons, but Gronk and Brady have a great chemistry and history. It will be hard to pass on Gronk.

  Which defense I would want to draft in the mid-rounds? Jacksonville Jaguars, LA Rams, Denver Broncos, LA Chargers, or the Minnesota Vikings? I can't go wrong with any of these defenses, but the Rams' defense is going to force a lot of turnovers this year. They have playmakers all over the defensive side of the ball. They have the best defensive player in the game with Aaron Donald, then they have Ndamukong Suh, Michael Brockers, Aqib Talib, Marcus Peters, and more. The defense is loaded with talent and they will be coached by one of the best defensive minds of all-time in Wade Phillips. I'm gonna pick the Rams' defense somewhere between the fifth and seventh round. Hopefully, they are going to be available to me.

  Who would I want to draft as my kicker in the mid/late rounds? Stephen Gostkowski or Justin Tucker? If you ask me who the better kicker is, then I will say Tucker. If you ask me who is going to give my fantasy team a decent amount of points from the kicker position, then I will Gostkowski. Even though Justin Tucker has had much better fantasy seasons than Gostkowski, you can't trust the Baltimore Ravens' offense to move the ball and score points. We all know how good the Pats' offense is, and how they always finish in the top five scoring offense. So I'm drafting Gostkowski over Tucker.

Finally!

A smart draft is one way to win your fantasy league. How you set your starting lineup, who you pick as free-agents or with the waivers, and what kind of luck you get into, are few other ways for you and your team to win the fantasy league. After the first four weeks of the season, I will write an article, in which I will talk about the players that I would want to pick from the waivers for my fantasy team.

 Side note: The last time I won my fantasy league was in the 2014-15 season.


I wish you all the very best for your fantasy season!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who Is Going To Be The Green Bay Packers' New Coach?

  Last year, the Green Bay Packers missed the playoffs for the first time in nine years. The reason why they couldn't make it to the postseason was that Aaron Rodgers, missed the majority of the season after he suffered an injury in a week six matchup against the Minnesota Vikings. However this year, with Rodgers having played every single game in the season so far, the Packers are 4-7-1 after twelve games. They just lost to the Arizona Cardinals who have a rookie quarterback under center. With that loss, the Packers are now only one loss away from missing the playoffs in back to back years. Last time the Green Bay Packers missed the playoffs in back to back years was in 2005 and 2006.   Oh, following the loss to the Cardinals, the Green Bay Packers' fired their long-time head coach, Mike McCarthy.   All the blame for the Packers being this bad went to Mike McCarthy and the defense. Some of the blame did go to the Packers' running game, but that's about it. Peo

Wildcard Round Was Fun, But The Playoffs Are About To Get Better!

 Last week was a good week of football. But you know, that was just the beginning. Rarely teams from the wild-card weekend go on to win Super Bowls. Last time a team that participated in the wild-card round and won a Super Bowl was the Baltimore Ravens from 2012. Is there any chance that a team from the wild-card round could win a Super Bowl this year? In my opinion, there are three teams from the wild-card round, who could win it all. The LA Chargers, Dallas Cowboys, and the defending champs, the Philadelphia Eagles. All three teams won their respective wild-card matchups this past week. Let's talk about their path to Super Bowl this year. Dallas Cowboys   So how good are the Dallas Cowboys? They are very good. They are not an elite team, but they can play elite football on certain nights. The Cowboys' defense is really good. Their offense is just above average. Not saying Dak Prescott is an average or a below average quarterback, they just don't have enough playma

What If Calvin Johnson Didn't Retire?

  Since 2015, most of the NFL World has been debating whether Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, or Odell Beckham Jr. is the best receiver in the game. Mind you, 2015 was the last season that Calvin Johnson played. According to me, Calvin Johnson was the best receiver until his last season! That guy was big and fast. Calvin Johnson at 6'5, 237 pounds, was able to do everything one could ask a receiver to do. I started watching football in 2010. Calvin was the receiver who caught my eye. Time after time, I saw him double covered and then him beating the coverage to catch the ball for a big gain. There were times when he was triple-covered and he still made a play. I doubt there was a corner, who wasn't scared of him. How do you stop someone so big, strong, and fast? You can't! You just can't stop this beast! However, Calvin chose to retire at the age of 30, after playing nine seasons. He retired after six straight seasons with over 1000 receiving yards. It didn't seem l